Belinda Lindhardt

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Reflection - Oil Painting on Canvas

"Reflection"- By Belinda Lindhardt, Oils on Canvas

I finally finished this Reflection piece i appologise its just raining non stop for the last week and its hard to get a good photo, the colours are a bit different in the original and the hair is a bit darker than is shown here but you get the idea. This piece wasn't quite what i had envisaged but its one i am calling done. It actually quite appropriate for this time in my life as i am currently in bit of a reflection period. I wont disclose my private life to the whole world on my blog (sorry as entertaining as that might be :) other than to say that i am currently going through a separation to my partner of 12 years. We have a business and 2 kids together so please bare with me and be patient while i sort out my life and get myself sorted. It's sad but it actually quite liberating i think it will be a new chapter in my life and i am actually looking forward to getting on with it.

After the past few days I have also been playing with the piece On Top of the World and not really achieving much success with it at all. Yesterday, i gave myself permission to not struggle with it anymore and i painted over it with gesso. For a while now i realised my passion for creating the image had gone and i just couldn't get the effect i was after. To be honest i am not convinced pastelboard is the surface for me, i am thinking i am better with paper as i still have this tendancy to make everything smooth and blended which is hard to do on the pastelboard. Anyway, so i have painted over it in a effort to put my energy into something else and it feels great to have allowed myself to do that, i think i will move a couple of unfinished canvases which i am struggling with into the shed to put them aside and start fresh :) Sometimes it hard to give ourselves permission to do these things but when we do gosh it feels good :)

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Nice work here. I think it is wonderful to give yourself permission for a new start on those paintings. I don't have trouble doing that but I know how hard it can be. I have many pastels that I have just wiped away. Even some that I had framed and for sale!

You keep up the good work! :)

Serena Lewis said...

It's lovely, Belinda! Well done for giving yourself permission to block out the 'struggle' piece with gesso to start afresh on something new. In many ways that could be used as an analogy to our personal lives. We don't need to struggle on when, all it takes, is the realisation that we can simply give ourselves permission to move on. The rest will fall into place.

I'm sorry to hear about your separation but I will say that you must do what is right for you and I'm glad you are feeling quite liberated by it. (((Hugs)))